App Support Information
To begin using the app you must create at least one school, and then choose the school to continue to creating and choosing class(es).
Recordable information for schools is as follows: School Name, School Address 1, School Address 2, School City, School Postal Code, School Phone, School Notes.
You may return to your schools at any time to add, edit or delete any schools you have created. Note: deleting a school will delete all classes associated with the deleted school. Students and events associated with the school will also be deleted.
Once you have created and chosen a school buttons will become available to create and choose a class. At least one class must be created and chosen before you can continue to creating and choosing teacher(s)
Recordable information for class(es) are as follows: Class Name, Class Start Date, Class End Date, Expectations Code, FDK switch (green for FDK)
The expectation code you can enter here can be a shared key/code from another user or you can create your own expectation database (see below). (TIP: look under our Forums: Learning Expectations). We strongly encourage you to review our forum for helpful tips and sharing from other users.
Once you enter your expectations code in the app all expectations associated with that key will be downloaded to your app. (NOTE: the code is long so it is best to copy and paste – make sure it is identical and double check that you have no ‘spaces’ on either end of the code. If you enter the wrong code it will not load!).
You may return to your classes at any time to add, edit or delete any class you have created. Note deleting a class will delete all Students associated with the class. Students will also be removed from events that they have been attached to.
Once you have created and chosen a class, buttons will become available to create and choose a teacher. At least one teacher must be created and chosen before you can continue to creating and choosing location(s).
Recordable information for teacher(s) are as follows: Teacher Name
You may return to your teachers at any time to add, edit or delete any teacher you have created.
Once you have created and chosen a teacher, buttons will become available to create and choose a location. At least one location must be created and chosen before you can continue to creating students and events.
Recordable information for locations(s) are as follows: Location Name
You may return to your locations at any time to add, edit or delete any location you have created.
Once all the above have been created and one item for each area has been chosen a button will become available for students. Students that you create at this stage are unique only to the class you have created and chosen above.
Recordable information for student(s) are as follows: Student Name, Student Number, Nick Name, Student Photo, Date of Birth, Notes, Guardian One, Guardian Two, Guardian Three, Guardian Four, Guardian Notes
You may return to students at anytime to add, edit or delete while the class they are associated with is chosen. Note: deleting a student will remove them from events they are associated with.
To create and edit your own database of expectations:
The educatorsLog app has been designed so that: (A) individual teachers, educators and other professionals can share, create/edit and modify expectations (or assessments) that are important to them and (B) large educational systems can enter standardized expectations for use throughout their entire system by sharing a single key. The app does not contain any pre-populated curriculum or expectations or user data of any kind. However, we strongly encourage you to review our forum for helpful tips and sharing from other users.
- go to educatorsLog.com
- click on Expectations in the header
- you will now see a black header bar appear at the very top of the educatorsLog website.
- now in the black bar: first, click on ‘educatorsLog’ then ‘Dashboard’ then ‘Expectations’ then ‘Add New’. You will be able to copy and paste or type in your desired expectations. Continue adding new until you enter all that you want to. You can always come back and edit later. Set the overall expectation (or top one) to the colour you want, all expectations that fall or ‘cascade’ below this one will take on this colour. Click on ‘Publish’ to save each expectation.
- secondly, click on reorder. Here you can now drag & drop the sub-expectations to create a tiered arrangement. You can create up to six cascading levels.
- now, navigate to your ‘profile’ which you will find in the left hand black menu bar, or upper right hand corner (under your name). Here you can locate your ‘Expectation Key’ that has been assigned. You will enter this code against your class in the app when your device is connected to the internet. (NOTE: the code is long so it is best to copy and paste – make sure it is identical and double check that you have no ‘spaces’ on either end of the code. If you enter the wrong code it will not load!). The expectations will then be downloaded and stored on your device for use offline and available for use in your learning event entry screen, the “+” sign.
To add an event from the home screen click the “+” top right. To add event from the event listing page click “Add”
Within the event you can do the following:
- Take or choose an existing photo from your camera roll to attach to your event.
- or take video, playback video, and delete video attached to the event.
- Rename your event. By default a new event is called “New Event”
- Choose a date and time of your event. By default the date and time you create the event is populated.
- Enter text for overall observation(s). Use Siri if desired and you are connected to the internet.
- Add student(s) to the event. You can select individually, select all or select all and then deselect if needed.
- Enter individual observation, progression flags or marks for students attached. To do this, click a student from your list of selected students to enter progression flags or individual marks and observations for each student.
- Attach expectation(s) if available and desired. Multiple expectations can be added there is no limit but a maximum of 6 will print on pdf versions of the learning stories.
- To view the attached expectation(s). Click an expectation you have attached to view the full details.
- To send or share the event click on the chevron (>) in the header while you are displaying the event. This action takes you to the send screen. Here you can select the pdf only or all files option. In most cases you will select ‘pdf Only’. This option is a pre-formated learning story of the event. Advance users may select all files to manage their data on the desktop. You can then choose if you would like a one page or two page pdf. The one page is a condensed version suitable for summary and printed versions. The two page is more detailed and complete and is suitable for electronic filing, duplex printing and eportfolios.
- To email the event, click on email and follow with a click on the lower chevron. Add the address or addresses and send. You can then print anywhere that you would normally print email messages.
- Connect to Dropbox, for the ability to send your event to Dropbox. A folder with your event name and date is created within the Apps>educatorsLog directory in your Dropbox account. The formats selected above will be sent. In the case of an ‘All Files’ selection a pre formatted pdf learning story of the event, a raw text document of the overview of the event, individual text files of attached students(s), and an image attached to the event will be uploaded to Dropbox.
- Also when sending to Dropbox we create student folders (eportfolios) and for each student that is in the learning story we place a copy of the pdf learning event in their eportfolio. Then you can easily share the students folder with parents, update Google Drive or other cloud services or update your website.
List events displays all your events in order by their date (newest to oldest). You may sort your list by student or by expectation to help you find events easier. If you filter by student the number of learning stories that each student is tagged in will be shown.
Backing up your data
From the home screen you can backup your data to an existing Dropbox account. Your data will be stored in the Apps>educatorsLog>database folder.
1. To delete items within lists swipe an item from right to left. A delete button will present itself. Click delete and agree or cancel the delete warning. Deleting items from lists applies to school, class, teacher, location, event, students attached to events, expectations attached to events.
2. An event with a photo can take up as much as 1.5mb per event. Keep this in mind when using your devices network capabilities when sending events via email or using Dropbox. WIFI is the best option when sending email or to Dropbox. No videos are sent via email or to Dropbox as these files on the length of the video you have taken.