Quick Start Guide
To get going follow these step by step instructions. You will be able to start documenting student learning in about 15 to 30 minutes. You can get more sophisticated as your interest and comfort in educatorsLog grows. See App Support or our YouTube Channel for more detailed information. However, you will learn quickly and easily if you just follow these instructions; play around and explore a little.
(A) For the app:
- Download the educatorsLog app from the App Store. educatorsLog is compatable with iPhone and iPad running iOS 9 or higher
- Launch the app
- Enter at least one school under ‘My Schools’
- Choose a ‘School’
- Enter at least one Class under ‘My Classes’. If you have a ‘key’ or ‘Expectation Code’ available enter it here. The key can be shared from another user or you can custom make your own. (TIP: look under our Forums: Learning Expectations) (NOTE: the code is long so it is best to copy and paste – make sure it is identical and double check that you have no ‘spaces’ on either end of the code. If you enter the wrong code it will not load!). If you would like to create your own expectation database, see section (B) below. But don’t worry you can always add this feature in later. If your class is FDK turn the switch on to green.
- Choose a ‘Class’
- Enter at least one Teacher under ‘My Teachers’
- Choose a ‘Teacher’
- Enter at least one Location under ‘My Location’
- Choose a ‘Location’
- Enter your Students under ‘My Students’
- To add a learning event select the ‘+’ sign in the upper right of the header.
- Take a picture, video or select from your camera roll.
- Name your event in the field called ‘New Event’
- Add your student(s). You can select individually, select all or select all and then deselect if needed.
- Select the student(s) to add progression flags, marks or individual observations.
- Add expectation(s): If you entered a ‘Expectation Code’ when you added your class. If not, skip this section. You can always come back and add them in later. Multiple expectations can be added, there is no limit, but a maximum of 6 will print on pdf versions of the learning stories. Click on an expectation you have attached to view the full details.
- Fill in/edit any other information such as overall observations or the date and time. Use Siri if you like.
- Select ‘Done’ to add the learning event to your database
- To send or share the event click on the chevron (>) in the header while you are displaying the event. This action takes you to the send screen. Here you can select the pdf only or all files option. In most cases you will select ‘pdf Only’ .This option is a pre-formated learning story of the event. Advance users may select all files to manage their data on the desktop. You can then choose if you would like a one page or two page pdf. The one page is a condensed version suitable for summary and printed versions. The two page is more detailed and complete and is suitable for electronic filing, duplex printing and eportfolios. Then choose whether you would like to email the pdf to yourself or someone else or a group of email addresses. Simply click on email followed by a click on the lower chevron, add the address or addresses and send. You can then print anywhere that you would normally print email messages.
New in Version 2.0 and up. We have made educatorsLog even easier when it comes to organizing and sharing your learning stories and events. When you choose to send an event to Dropbox we automatically create student folders (eportfolios) and for each student that is in the learning story we automatically place a copy of the pdf learning event in their eportfolio. Then you can easily share the students folder with parents, update Google Drive, other cloud services or update your website.
(B) To create and edit your own database of expectations:
The educatorsLog app has been designed so that: (A) individual teachers, educators and other professionals can share, create/edit and modify expectations (or assessments) that are important to them and (B) large educational systems can enter standardized expectations for use throughout their entire system by sharing a single key. The app does not contain any pre-populated curriculum or expectations or user data of any kind. However, we strongly encourage you to review our forum for helpful tips and sharing from other users.
- go to educatorsLog.com
- click on Expectations in the header
- you will now see a black header bar appear at the very top of the educatorsLog website.
- now in the black bar: first, click on ‘educatorsLog’ then ‘Dashboard’ then ‘Expectations’ then ‘Add New’. You will be able to copy and paste or type in your desired expectations. Continue adding new until you enter all that you want to. You can always come back and edit later. Set the overall expectation (or top one) to the colour you want, all expectations that fall or ‘cascade’ below this one will take on this colour. Click on ‘Publish’ to save each expectation.
- secondly, click on reorder. Here you can now drag & drop the sub-expectations to create a tiered arrangement. You can create up to six cascading levels.
- now, navigate to your ‘profile’ which you will find in the left hand black menu bar, or upper right hand corner (under your name). Here you can locate your ‘Expectation Key’ that has been assigned. You will enter this code against your class in the app when your device is connected to the internet. (NOTE: the code is long so it is best to copy and paste – make sure it is identical and double check that you have no ‘spaces’ on either end of the code. If you enter the wrong code it will not load!). The expectations will then be downloaded and stored on your device for use offline and available for use in your learning event entry screen, the “+” sign.
1. To delete items within lists swipe an item from right to left. A delete button will present itself. Click delete and agree or cancel the delete warning. Deleting items from lists applies to school, class, teacher, location, event, students attached to events, expectations attached to events.
2. An event with a photo can take up as much as 1.5mb per event. Keep this in mind when using your devices network capabilities when sending events via email or using Dropbox. WIFI is the best option when sending email or to Dropbox. No videos are sent via email or to Dropbox as these files on the length of the video you have taken.